Friday, August 21, 2009

My Bags are Packed! (Sorta) I'm ready to go! (Sorta)

OK, so first blog post is coming approximately 26 hours before my plane departs for Paris. Where another plane will then take me to Mumbai!!! O my gosh I can't even believe this is happening. I have wanted to go to India since I was a little kid, I think I was around ten when I first made this decision that someday I would go to India. I'm so lucky to get to see one of my biggest dreams come true.

Leaving though for me is also really hard. This summer has been really hard on me, and so I'm hoping that by going to India I will be able to find some healing and peace and joy that is tough right now to have. I'm going to miss a lot of things about Virginia, (and Burlington, and Calgary...geeze I'm just a lady of the world ;)) but mostly I'm going to miss my family and friends. I'm so lucky to have so many people who support me and are cheering me on as I embark on this journey. This trip is dedicated to all of you! Also, going to India to an enitrely foriegn place is scary, and somehow I have to be brave enough to do this. My mom said just over a month ago, "I go with a fierce heart, and certainly a grateful one." Even though our circumstances are completely different, my mom continues to offer me words of wisdom as I go.

I know that there have been a lot of questions about different aspects of my trip. I'm going to try and offer up some quick answers for those questions.
1) Do you know where you will be living? Yes, as of last night I found out that I will be living with the four other girls going to India with me (Sarah, Jessica, and Chelsea) in an apartment near the school we are going to. There will be two bedrooms, a kitchen and a living area. This will be the first time I've had roommates since freshmen year, so it might be a bit of an adjustment.
2) Is someone picking you up from the airport? Yes, four students from the THINC campus will be meeting Sarah, Jessica, Chelsea, Mike, and I at the airport. Don't worry, I won't be alone.
3) What are you doing over there? I will be taking classes and doing the first half of my social work internship there. I also will hopefully be experiencing many moments of self-discovery, and a greater appreciation for the world around me.
I'm sure there are many more questions, feel free to email me or post them here, I'll try to answer them as best I can.
Finally, I'm including a map of where I will be over the next 48 hours. I leave Richmond, VA at 10:16 tomorrow morning to get to New York. Then I will leave New York at 5:45PM, get to Paris at 7:00 (ish) in the morning , and get to Mumbai at 11:35 Sunday Night. Keep in mind there are time changes here, but still its about 24 hours of traveling! The Pink line shows my general route! :)
Peace, Love, and Elephant Kisses-Emmy


4 comments:

  1. Emmy, so many good wishes to you!!! May your journey be blessed with adventures of many planned and unexpected joys!!! Steven and I are so excited for you!

    Love, Mary Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love the map! All throughout tomorrow I'll pretend to follow along. Of course you chose a pink line...

    Anyway, know that I'm here to support you in any way you need (virtually). I can't believe it's almost time!

    Good look on your flights and make new friends! If you share a sudoku with them, you know it will be a lifelong connection. :P

    MUAH! Bye

    BZam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Emmy, I waited until today to read your blog for selfish reasons only to me. Because of your family I also embark on an adventure of discovering new worlds, but my world in across the river, not across the Atlantic. I wish you much happiness and healing during this time. I look forward to sharing this part of your life with you. Remember we are only an ocean away but safely tucked in our hearts. I love you,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ou tu es maintenant, mon ami? En Paris? Je suis no pourque es 5 pm ici. As you can tell, French is not my strong suit, but I HAD to use some French... or at least what I think is French....for you on this leg of your journey. BTW, People here on campus are thinking of you big time, woman! For example, Howie and I were in line at HR/RA training a couple days ago and he brought you and your trip, Joanie asked about your trip at another training event, and just this afternoon, one of the CPS officers mentioned you this afternoon after I told him our new RA's name. Feel our hugs and care, Emmy!!!

    ReplyDelete