Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I'm sorry Laura I'm sorry Laura I'm sorry Laura!!

I guess its been a while! Honestly, not too much has been going on, I've been going to classes, shopping, and working at my internship. In other words, I have settled into some sort of routine here, and I find it slightly shocking that I'm leaving just over a under a month from now. I'd be lying if I said that I was ready to leave this place, I'm already planning trips (yes trips, as in multiple) back. Anyways what has been going on..
Well we don't have internet, so I'm currently in a nearby bagel shop with internet access filling you all in on my life. That at least partly explains the lack of posting. Well that, and a ten page paper on water in Jammu and Kashmir. Anyways, last week I made another site visit for my internship to Sanmitra Trust, a NGO that works primarily for the prevention of HIV/AIDS particularly with commercial sex workers. I left from the Center for Legal Services with three women who had some point in their lives been commercial sex workers. We established, about a minute after I left, that there would be a huge language barrier. Yet these women took me as there own, linking arms in a protective manner with me as we walked down the street. Then buying me a vada-pav (wada-POW!), Indian street food well worth having. Throughout my time with them, I could tell my safety was their highest interest and they worked hard to make sure I was both safe and comfortable. This was probably one of my favorite experiences in India. The women were incredibly warm and gracious and I was certainly glad to meet them.
A few weeks ago, we went to the Elephanta Caves, on an island about forty-five minutes away from the city. The caves were from 6AD and intricately carved and beautiful.
Other than that, my days have been filled with lots of class time and hanging out.
Happy Thanksgiving to my American Friends and Family!

4 comments:

  1. i very much approve of the title of this blog. and im glad you finally did it! yayyy u get to come home soon. that seems like such an amazing experience! i cant believe it! i love it!!!
    ~laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant believe you aplogize to HER for skipping blog entries. OUCH! What about the rest of us (aka ME)

    ReplyDelete